European Sea Festival 2011 in Gdansk
The municipality of Gdansk in cooperation with the Polish Maritime Museum organizes a 3-day festival to celebrate the European Maritime Day 2011 in Gdansk. Both outdoor and indoor activities are prepared. The whole event will take place on Olowianka island in the center of Gdansk, where the head office of the Polish Maritime Museum is situated. The main places of interest should be:
- Anyone can build a boat! (boatbuilding workshop) – you will have the chance of building a part of a real sail boat on your own. Boat builders will supervise you and show you how to use professional tools.
- An exhibition of different small wooden boat types (canoe, sea kayak, recreational kayak and paddle boat) - the Polish Maritime Museum will project a film showing launched boats in use and on the water. You will be able to try these boats on your own on the Motlawa river in the center of Gdansk.
- Traditional boat building – boat builders from Germany and Poland will continue working on a small fishing boat (partly built in Rostock during the Hanse Sail 2010) at a special construction site in the center of Gdansk! For three days you will be able to watch the progress of construction works and traditional boatbuilding techniques.
Additional attractions to be organized are:
- sewing traditional sails
- making traditional sail lines
- art & craft activities for kids
- different educational stations
During the entire event you will be informed about activities available at the festival. Special guest will be the world famous Polish sailor - National, European and World champion - Mateusz Kusznierewicz!